Thursday, July 21, 2011

Participant Reflections

An amazingly inspirational and education week was spent in Durango at the 2011 Fire Ecology Institute. During the week, I acquired a much more thorough understanding of the mechanics of fire and its importance in the natural order of our environment. Equally important is the increased appreciation that I gained through this experience for the efforts of the individuals and agencies responsible for dealing with the management of wildfire (those involved in mitigation, control, and recuperative efforts after fire.) As was shared many times by all of us who attended the FEI, I will never look at a forest through the same eyes as before.

As I am not currently teaching in a classroom, my efforts to spread what I learned in Durango will center on outreach efforts, which I have already initiated. I have been able to share with several of my friends, family and acquaintance across the country this summer much of what I have learned, particularly in relation to mitigation of private residences. I am an enviromental educator during the school year and work daily with student groups, teachers, and parents on various aspects of the environment, including forestry. In this capacity, I will also be able to draw upon the information I have learned through the FEI to outreach to this community as well.

Thank you, Shawna, Craig, Kent, Lu, Mary Ann, and Gabi for all of your efforts in organizing and delivering this amazing program! I can safely say that this experience has significantly impacted both my outlook and behavior regarding wildfire, and will insure that others with whom I interact are exposed to the concepts I have gained as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment