Friday, July 8, 2011

Monday, June 13, 2011

Upon arriving to Fort Lewis College, and entering the dorm lounge, I was surprised at
All of the information that was available before the class even started.  It was tempting to
Get it all out and start going through it, but after a long drive from the northern part of the state to the southern part, I decided to wait until after the class.
Monday was a day that I realized how much I didn’t know about fire education.  First just learning about dendrochronology was an eye opener.  Laurie Huckaby was very knowledgeable and it was a new area that I didn’t have much experience in.  I have had students read tree rings, but did not realize all the information that can be gathered from tree rings.

In the afternoon we went on the Dalla Mt. Park hike.  This was a longer, more difficult hike than expected, however I figured to get out and see all there is and learn, then girl get with it!!  Craig led the hike and pointed out various fire scars and scars from falling trees.  He actually told us so much that again I was in awe thinking it is so interesting how much a person can learn from a fire.  The way the slash was piled was of great interest to me because I intend to bring this information back to Crystal Lakes subdivision, to see if we can improve on our management of slash.  This hike was challanging, and I kept on thinking I wished I had brought my small notebook to take notes as we went along.

The evening ended with a wonderful Italian dinner at the Durango Museum.  It was so good
To sit down, relax and talk with others about the day during this time.  The movie we saw was excellent and kept my attention until later evening.  Did you ever want to listen and know what was going on, but were too tired to keep your eyes open?  Well, it was a fantastic day, but I just wish I could have made it through the last 45 minutes.  Now, the good news is we have a copy of that DVD “Fire Wars” and so I will view it at home.

Tuesday, June 14th

After breakfast we drove to the Vallecito Marina.  Now this was totally off the chart for exciting!!  To actually see a burned area and what had been done to restore growth.  It was an eye opener to actually see all of the various trees and plants that were growing back after a relativity short time.
In the mountains, where I am presently, there are areas where home owners have thinned the forest.  The area now receives more sunlight and there are a variety of plant species and Aspen trees growing.  To me this is a good comparison of an after fire vegetation, but not quite as rich in nutrients. You can quickly get the idea of the ever changing forest and actually why fire is a process of renewal.  What was evident in the area we visited was the increase in the number of birds and also that mammals has returned.  I did not realize the number of animals killed in a fire are low, they know when to exit.
I think this tour was so interesting because it showed us the unpredictability of fire. The winds do change increasing, decreasing or changing in direction.  Also, the weather conditions were just right for fire.  The low humidity, high temps, fuel all were the conditions that fires can easily start. 
I think about the education of the residents.  Were people aware of doing fire mitigation, and focusing the area around them?  It is very obvious that homeowners who make a concerted effort to mitigate are less in danger.  I learned what firefighters will do to save all structures, however will concentrate on those structures where homeowners have taken an interest and an active role in protecting their home.


The other fieldtrip in the afternoon was to go to a forest in a subdivision and make a fire break.  It was very interesting to learn the names of the tools and the purpose that each tool has.  To put on the equipment, yellow shirt, helmet, and carry your tool while hiking to an area made me think of those who are actually on the line but to get there they are carrying a huge pack weighing many more times than the Pulaski that I was carrying.
I have a new appreciation for the men and women who fight fires.  For them to leave their family and love ones, sleep on the ground, and eat dried food while trying to daily carry on the work before them was a new learning experience for me.  Never did I ever really give it much thought about those who sacrifice to be there to protect people and their belongings that they have never met.  What dedication and giving from a firefighter!

As we finished our fire break and looked back up the mountain, I felt accomplished and part of a team even though it was not a real fire.   Perhaps that is the drive that keeps these men and women returning and to carrying on when environmental areas are so difficult to work in. 

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011

I was looking forward to another new day.  I had learned so much already and felt I was on mental overload trying to absorb all of this new material.  It is so meaningful in my particular situation, and that made it all the more interesting.  So on this new day we focused on debris and erosion.  Living in a mountain community, and being on the board of direction for Crystal Lakes in Red Feather, Colorado reinforced my feeling of how pertinent this information was going to be.  We were able to see debris flows from rains after a fire and the huge amount of force that is present as slopes have nothing there now to hold back water flow and anything that is carried with it. 
The presentation that was most inspiring for me was listening to John Ey at Lemon Dam on the erosion control.  He worked in that area by the reservoir for years and was so knowledgeable.  After seeing and listening to him, I believe that what he proactively did should be a model for all mountain communities in saving the water quality after a fire.  His foresight, knowledge and commitment to his job and the people in the community were very touching to me.  We were able to see firsthand what actions were taken.  In my mind’s eye I can still see the huge metal racks that were made to fit in the main flow of debris, to catch and stop it from getting in the reservoir.  Also, the “tubes” that were placed on the mountain side that stopped erosion, but allowed the water to flow through.
Now that I am back and looking around the mountain sides in my area, I can visualize a fire and that the same applications would work.  Having someone like John, who is there and working at the dam is so helpful.  Most communities do not have people, I believe that are so versed in that particular area of erosion control.  Outside agencies can be called in, but then to “sell” a community on the actions that have been decide upon can be very difficult and actually met with opposition.  As we are using Char burners in our community to rid of slash it is evident that you’ll always meet with some opposition in anything you do, even if it has been proven in the past to be successful. John had people questioning his actions, but the end result was a great model to be used to protect the water that people rely on for drinking.  This presentation was animating and so informational.  I left really feeling now that I really had a better understanding of what it means when they say that after the fire is when the real work begins.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

We left in the morning after breakfast to go to Mesa Verde.  I had not been there for 12 years, and was looking forward to looking at the land a bit differently perhaps than the regular visitor going there just to see the cliff dwellings.
We hiked to the cliff dwelling and learning about how the people used the different rooms, and how they used the warmth of the day to retreat to the cool cliffs.  Also, their use of water, gravity and conservation made this particular site very interesting.   Climbing up stairs through small rock divisions gave you a true feel of how the people climbed and used hand crafted ladders that were still as sturdy today.
The most interesting was the visit to the fire station in Mesa Verde.  The fire mitigation plan and how they have dealt with past fires was intriguing.  Managing the land is an ongoing, seemingly never ending project.
We toured an area off the road where vegetation was diverse, and a lot of fuel on the ground from years ago.  We had a great discussion about the soil.  Some of the soil was a type that takes a very long time to replace.  I learned that even though this environment looked anything but not fragile, it was VERY fragile. 
My thinking has totally different after I finished this class about firefighters and the fire chief.  Steve Underwood explained to us that he believes a control burn is necessary for a ridge near Mesa Verde to protect the park from a future possible fire.  He believes he will have a very difficult task of educating the residents, and selling his point.  The area of shrubs is close to homes and also in the park.  The fire chief has an important role in politics and dealing with public issues, and I really never gave it that much thought before. 

As this week is close to an end we did some PLT activities, however there are so many to
look over and see which ones are best for what the teacher wants to accomplish.  I sure wish I had this training while I was still teaching as I have heard so many good things about PLT and the week….now I know why!

My plans on use of the materials are to share my knowledge at Red Feather School.  There are one week sessions on forest ecology.  I was teaching last week, and was able to use the information on fire scars and dendrochronology with the elementary students already   I also made copies of some of the papers for them to take home to their parents.
Also, I plan to work with my coworker, Jean Carpenter and discuss how together we can add to what she has already done in Red Feather School. 
Being on the board is tiring but fulfilling in that information can be shared, and hopefully we can have an action plan in place for erosion control, and saving our rivers from the aftermath of a possible future fire.  I believe it is not “if”, but “when” in a possible fire.
The most exciting thing for me that I’d like to do with this information, and the materials received is to start a summer kids education program while families are staying here.
It is a unique situation in that kids come here from a weekend to several weeks at a time.
I’d like to have PLT activities for them to do with educational hikes for them to learn about fire and forest ecology. 
My vision is also to do an adult program, although I am new at it, I’d still like to try to educate about mitigation, erosion and being proactive with their property.


I would like to thank all of the people for the endless hours of preparation, especially Shawna Crocker.  This class was inspirational and informative; it was a class that I would take again given the opportunity because I learned so much.  It is valuable information, and the materials are varied and useful to get education in place.  I’d like to thank the speakers who gave their time and expertise to help us.  Also, I’d like to thank the other students in the class as we shared experiences and ideas to implement PLT.

What a rewarding experience, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment